Why Use Project Planning Software?
- Control of Projects: to constantly organize and
monitor complex projects, producing schedules and reports which people
- Control of Time: to figure out feasible deadlines
and show how to meet them. To identify those operations which meet them.
- Control of Resources: to smooth out workloads for
increased efficiency, to identify critical, insufficient or excessive
- Control of Costs: to calculate the cost of running
the project to identify how fixed cost or overheads increases if the project is
- Progress Control: to track and record actual
achievement of project operations and to highlight progress slippage and
problem areas. To compare Actual Cost with Earned Values to compare against
budgets. To analyze the planning of corrective action.
- Simulation: to explore positive alternatives in What if? or Where do we go from here? situations.
Download of free evaluation package and "Try Before You Buy" giving you absolutely "No Risk" and a chance to experience this "Easy to Use" planning package for your projects.
Hot Tip for Programme Managers
WBS restrictions using simple roll-up and roll-down
Do you get frustrated with some project planning tools that only offer a WBS with "Roll Up" or "Roll Down". These may prevent you from analysing real bottle necks, especially when interdependent projects are created in separate logic diagrams or on separate WBSs, or worse in separate databases.
Micro Planner X-Pert overcomes this problem with its unique Interface Nodes and Transmitter/Receiver Nodes.
Interface Nodes can be established in one project's logic diagram
and inserted in another all within the same project file.
The benefit is that this enables separate projects to be linked to the critical path for Project Portfolios or a Programme of Projects.
Transmitter and Receiver Nodes will enable the Programme Manager to link milestones from separate project plans on separate files from anywhere around the globe - via the Internet.
The benefit is that separate project plans can share a
common critical path for monitor and control at a central project support
This overcome the restrictions of pure "roll-up" roll-down" analysis as used in other project planning tools, thus enabling more critical analysis across all network diagrams.
The other benefit is that the progress of key milestones in
low level projects can be shown on a single logic diagram at an executive or
Ideal for Programme Managers or Portfolio Managers.
Overall Benefit: The selecting and seeding of milestones
into a single critical path at a "meta level" to its own level of abstraction
truly enables the project manager to carry out detailed project reviews and
analysis and provides the evidence for ongoing control and change.
What If scenario Planning
By using a combination of Tx/Rx nodes and/or Interface Nodes, the Programme Manager will immediately see the impact of change on lower level project plans on his master plan that covers the whole programme of projects, or portfolio of projects..
This high level visibility is a key benefit to Programme
Managers. Especially as X-Pert has colour coding (Red, Amber and Green) to show
the criticality of tasks and milestones.
Work Breakdown Structures (WBS)
Every major deliverable that is contractual or a regulatory
requirement must be part of one single over-arching WBS.
This is true whether you are running a single project, a portfolio of Projects or a Programme of Projects.
The WBS should follow guidance found in British Standards BS6079.
This gives the benefit to the Programme Manager that the whole programme of work has been defined to the depth necessary for review and control by the Senior Project Management Team and Senior Management.
Why Choose Micro Planner X-Pert?
- A low "Total Cost of Ownership" through the course of your project when you add costs of license, support, training and weekly usage.
- Thirty years of product development and a proven track record in projects of all sizes and complexities.
- Based on British Standards BS 6079 and supports PRINCE2 methodology.
- Up to 100 projects all in one file for accurate programme management.
- Work Breakdown Structures for drilling down or rolling up detail.
- It's "ease of use" in drawing logic diagrams with its unique "Activity on Arrow" method or if you prefer "Task in a Box".
- Simple to understand resource analysis in four modes for up to 250 resources -each having their own weekly cycle and calendar.
- Accurate cost analysis and reporting.
- Earned Value analysis and reporting (all in the box).
Now visit our new main website
Micro Planner X-Pert 3.5.1 running on Windows 32-Bit Installations
Micro Planner X-Pert V3.5.1 has been tested for compatibility with
the following 32-bit platforms:
Windows XP (All editions, except 64-bit)
Windows 7 (32-bit editions only)
Windows Server 2003 32-bit
Windows Server 2008 32-bit
Micro Planner X-Pert 3.5.1 running on Windows 64-Bit Installations
Our main website www.microplanning.com has step by step instructions helping you to install X-Pert on 64-bit processors, using VMware Player.
Once VMware is installed then you can install Micro Planner X-Pert as described above.
Workshops: Essential Project Management For Your Business
These new workshops can be arranged for your project managers,
schedulers or planners. Either "on-site" or "off-site" and delivered at
Please give us a call to discuss your needs.
Places will be limited to a maximum of eighteen people per workshop.
Let's improve the way we manage projects to gain higher profits, better credibility and less stress.
Do you trust your project planning application as you do your "Sat Nav"?
A project is like a journey - you know where the destination is - now you need to know the best route, arrival time and cost - so you reach for your Sat Nav.
Micro Planner X-Pert is probably the best "Sat Nav" you can buy for your next project. MPI's entry level product "Manager" is now sold at "SAT Nav" prices.
- Map out your tasks and milestones using "Activity on
Arrow" diagrams - see shortest route to your destination.
- Rely on the "Resource Scheduling" to smooth out work
overloads, or show where additional resources are needed to meet set deadlines.
With careful planning the "Tsunami Wave" of tasks waiting to be
started will be history and the whole project team will be less
- We've introduced "Traffic Light" colours of "green,
amber and red" to show those activities that can be delayed whilst you focus on
the critical areas and still arrive on time - making you aware and giving you
an opportunity to react - ahead of time.
- The "Earned Value" graphs show "Budgeted Costs",
"Actual Costs" and the "Value" of finished work - putting you in control of
costs and ready to report progress.
- The application is simple to install onto your PC
meaning you can start planning and scheduling straight away, with minimal
training and start your journey with a much higher probability of reaching your
destination as planned.
If you use a "Sat Nav" for untried journeys then you know their value. (The good thing about a Sat Nav even on well known journeys is that it continuously informs of your arrival time !
So, for your next project, use Micro Planner X-Pert as your "Sat Nav" to guide you through the project plan - keeping you in control for better performance and delivery.
And, if you need help to plan and control your projects, then call
MPI where we offer professionally delivered training, consultancy and mentoring
to meet your budget.
Micro Planner Manager at £195.00 plus VAT (UK Sterling) - making planning even more affordable and giving you benefits straight away.
Micro Planner X-Pert - Easy For Beginners - Delights The Professionals
Powerful planning and scheduling for both simple and complex projects
Complete suite of tools with no 'add-ons'
Trusted information for decisions and communications
Earned Value (EV) reporting is 'built- in'
Everyone can quickly start controlling their projects
Options for resource analysis will delight the Professional Planners and Schedulers
Data entry problems are identified for corrective action.
X-Pert's Main Features
First A Welcome
Welcome to Micro Planning International Ltd (MPI). We started in 1978 and now celebrate our thirtieth year in delivering project planning and scheduling software around the World.
MPI is part of a group of companies delivering and supporting Micro Planner in Europe, America and Australia.
Are you new to project management, or a seasoned practitioner running inter-national projects? Whatever your starting point, we believe we have the right solution for you; it's called X-Pert.
X-Pert products are continuously developed with bespoke versions delivered to major clients.
A professional Project Manager recently said this about X-Pert:
- Its designed around PERT - with Gantt as an output rather than the other way around .
- Many individual sub-projects with links between them makes everything more manageable .
- Ladder activities - that eliminates "lag-drag"
- Hammock activities absolutely essential for overviews
- PERT diagrams - where the lines don't overlay each other
- Powerful resource scheduler giving accurate and trustworthy results..
- Work Breakdown Structures (WBS) - maps to contract or project description
- Organisational Breakdown Structures (OBS) - maps to work groups, e.g. departments, suppliers, partners, etc.
- Data Exchanges- Data flows across different project files on PCs around the globe via the Internet
- Logic networks - clear view "work-flow", dependencies, milestones and "bottle-necks"
- Flexible calendars and weekly cycles - full control over resource availability
- Resource descriptions - Up to twenty changes to each resource quantity or cost over the life of your project
- Critical Path Analysis (CPA) - shows the longest path and float through your project and sub-projects
- Program Evaluation and Review Technique ( PERT) - easy "What if" trails to optimise time and cost
- Gantt reports - used for "time-sheets" and reporting progress
- Earned Value Performance Measurement (EVPM) - a full suite of built-in cost reports giving you financial control
- Reports - a full set of ready-made reports and "Report Writer" tools to design your own
- Export/Import - enables project data to be exchanged in several common formats including .xml
- Audit trail - "Built-in" records to satisfy Sarbanes Oxley (SOX) audits and good governance requirements
Micro Planner provides the most versatile interface in the project management software industry.
You interact with your project through "What-you-see-is-what-you -get" (WYSIWYG) windows.
Create and up-date your project in any of the following -
- Work Breakdown Structures (WBS)
- Network logic with a choice of "Activity on the Arrow" or "Task in a box"
- Bar charts
X-pert (probably) has the best resource levelling algorithm in the industry
The resource levelling calculations are still the most advanced in the project management industry.
- Split-able tasks,
- Elastic tasks (ie Resource driven task)
- Skill scheduling by alternate resources within user defined groups,
- Resource- driven durations,
- Resource prioritising,
- Four levels of resource- levelling heuristics,
- Up to 250 resources scheduled simultaneously with up to 250 individual calendars.
X-Pert is amongst the most flexible project management systems in the industry.
You can create up to 250 calendars, up to 20 different resources per task.
You can generate special resources, as a result of tasks performed. "Pool" resources can be used for monitoring the use of materials or cash. Debit and credit resourcing is also available.
Micro Planner supports all the dependency types, Start to Start, Start to Finish, Finish to Start, Finish to Finish as well date impositions which may be No Earlier Than, No Later Than, Target Start, Target Finish, Fixed Start, Fixed Finish.
The Work Breakdown Structure (WBS) offers 1,000 WBS elements per project and a depth of up to 999 levels - this really allows you to map the contracted work onto the WBS for better project management.
X-Pert is one of the easiest to use project management applications available
- Computer-based training with easy to manage defaults allows you to see only what you need
- Full documentation available as a download
- Context sensitive help available on every pop-up or window.
The multi-project capabilities within X-Pert is one of the areas that sets it apart from the competition. This is the area where you can model the Organisational Breakdown Structure (OBS) into your project files.
- Work with true multi-projects as well as sub-projects, to create and manage your global projects
- Separate project files linked using our unique Transmitters and Receivers even at different levels of the project structures
- Manage WBS, resources and calendars centrally, to manage up to 100 sub projects per project file.
X-Pert provides a low cost entry into the world of Earned Value Performance Management, they identify BCWS, BCWP, ACWS, BAC, ETC costs, as well as Recoverable Value, Earned/Cost variance (CV), Schedule Variance (SV) and Variance at Completion (VAC). Budgeted costs of operations or the whole project are always viewable
Some of the very best people are using X-Pert all over the world.
Many of our Licensees have depended upon us for almost thirty years to deliver high-quality project control systems.
Some of our users include: Apple Inc, Boeing, Motorola, Nortel, British Rail, CEGB, Coles Myer, RAAF, RAN, Siemens AG, PT Mobisel, ASIC, Lucas Film, LRH, Monsanto, Duke Power Co., British Telecom, Shell Oil, Lockheed, IBM, Fujitsu . A truly International set of delighted customers.
X-Pert is inexpensive and cost effective. If you are considering multiple licenses then let us quote you a volume purchase discount.
We want you to be successful with all your projects.
It's good for your Customers , good for your Company - and good for your Career too.
Our Licensees tell us that our support is second to none. let us know whether you prefer "on-site", or "off-site" training - we can do both.
MPI offers :
- On-line: tutorials and downloadable documentation.
- Product up-dates,
- Off-line: use E-mail and telephone support
- Planning and Scheduling training - independent of software tools,
- Technical product training - using X-Pert
- Training on the fundamentals of good Project Management.
If you are about to purchase, or upgrade your project planning applications then consider X-Pert.
We invite you to download the X-Pert Feature List (MS Word .doc) and compare/contrast X-Pert with other packages. Having made your comparisons, and recorded your results then please send it to MPI as an email attachment to email@example.com. We will then learn of our strengths and weaknesses and have real data from which to plan product improvements.
If any of that sounds interesting and you want to learn more then please call.
We would be delighted to hear from you.
John Cornish MBA, FCIM, Chartered Marketer
Micro Planning International Ltd
Tel: +44 (0) 1725 553199
Mob: (not in use)
PS: Your views on this website are very welcome - especially on how it can be enhanced giving better value to Project Managers.